praha.eu | magistrat.praha.eu | pis.cz
This content requires Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled.
Built on Flash Panorama Player.

THE NEW WORLD

Hradcany - Prague 1

GPS: 50°5'27.96"N, 14°23'21.84"E

   The New World belongs among the most romantic places in old Prague. It is caused by the local historic development, which is mainly formed by small single-storied houses with small rooms, paved road and the fact that it is situated outside the main touristic way and thus there is a calm atmosphere. Once it inspired the poet and writer, Jan Neruda (1834-1891) and writer and journalist Jakub Arbes (1840-1914).
   The former Hradčany suburb rose shortly after establishment of Hradčany, in the half of the 14th century and it was included into the city fortification. It was burnt down at the beginning of Hussite wars in 1420 and in 1541 during great fire in the Lesser Town, the Prague Castle and Hradčany. However, even in the 16th century and in the following one it was restored and extended. Poor people lived there in the past. What their miniature houses missed to be beautiful was substituted in names of the local house-signs. For example we can find there At the Gold Grape, At the Gold Bush, At the Gold Pear, At the Gold Stork, At the Gold Leg, At the Gold Star, At the Gold Plough and the like. Therefore it is said with a bit exaggeration that Prague is the goldest there.
   Nowadays, all the houses in this original Prague district, spread partially between Deer’s Ditch (Jelení příkop) and the garden wall of Franciscan cloister, were properly restored and they have been justly the spotlights, in particular in the east the former homestead no. 93 At the Crayfish. This is two separate homesteads closed by a courtyard, which were originally built as butcher’s sheds before the half of the 18th century. The corner house is a timbered building with a shingle roof and an original valvular ceiling. Now, there is a smart guesthouse. Among numerous historic curiosities let’s mentioned the house At the Gold Plough no. 90. In 1937 there was placed a bronze memorial tablet saying: „Fr. Ondříček, a famous Czech violinist, was born in this house on 29th April 1857“, in the upper part there is relief portrait of the master, a piece by Jan Kavan. Under the portrait there is a laurel sprig.