praha.eu | magistrat.praha.eu | pis.cz
This content requires Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled.
Built on Flash Panorama Player.

VYTON

New town - Prague 2

GPS: 50°4'5.16"N, 14°24'51.84"E

   Výtoň is an interesting place in Prague. The paved recreational pedestrian promenade along the river Vltava has been separated from the busy traffic of the Embankment of Rašín by a high bank wall of cyclopean masonry. Balustrade of the bank wall is formed of granite balusters and cast-iron decorative frames placed in a granite course. The wall was constructed during 1905-1907 in the site of the original embankment.
   Once there was settlement called Podskalí, where mainly those people lived, who worked with the river, they were raftsmen, fishermen and in the winter season icemen, who cut out ice of the ice-covered Vltava. Podskalí perished at the turn of 19th and 20th centuries and right in this site there has been kept one of the rare preserved buildings, the house of the former Customs office in Podskalí no. 412. It stands in a slight hollow, which indicates level of the previous terrain. Nowadays, there is a branch of the Museum of the Capital of Prague with two constant exhibitions, Vanished Podskalí and History of Prague steam navigation. There is also a base of association called Vltavan, which was established in 1871 and which has preserved ancient traditions of Podskalí.  
   There is also an important traffic link, a railway bridge. The first one was single-line and it started to be operated in 1872. And in 1901 it was replaced with the present one, which is double-line with pedestrian foot-bridges.
   One of the Prague right confluents of Vltava, the stream of Botič, inflows to the river under the bridge.