praha.eu | magistrat.praha.eu | pis.cz
This content requires Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled.
Built on Flash Panorama Player.

MALEŠICE SQUARE

Malesice - Prague 10

GPS: 50°5'6"N, 14°30'42.84"E

We have the first mention of the previous village of Malešice from 1309. At that time its part belonged to vicar Vojslav, who bequeathed it to the church of St Vitus in the Prague Castle by his testament in the same year. In the course of centuries the owners were changing quite fast. Well-established rules were occasionally interrupted with war events, as the village was lying far from the town ramparts. Camping armies, getting ready for attack to the town, ate all supplies of the peasants and small farmers, they slaughtered cattle and poultry and they did not hesitate to cut the fruit trees to make and keep fire. The local population suffered most during the Thirty Years’ War.

All that is a very ancient history. Malešice, joined to Prague in 1922, being spread east of Žižkov, has been developing dynamically. New houses have been built there and also traffic serviceability is at a good level. Thus even the underground station of A line – Želivského can be reached in several minutes.

However the Malešice Square looks like the time was stopped there. The place completely recalls the village past. In the south there is an entrance into the previous farm buildings no. 1, 107 and 108. In the middle of the previous village square, being situated at the crossroads of the medieval roads, there is a late baroque chapel from 1755, dedicated to patron of the Czech country, St Wenceslas. The belfry on the top has been missing a bell. The chapel and the tower are covered with Spanish tiling.