praha.eu | magistrat.praha.eu | pis.cz
This content requires Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled.
Built on Flash Panorama Player.

ŘEPORYJE SQUARE

Reporyje - Prague 5

GPS: 50°1'57"N, 14°18'43.92"E

The oldest written record of Řeporyje comes from 1277, when it was given to the Cistercian monastery in Plasy by Ottokar II. However, the archaeological researches have proven settlement of the local area in the Old Iron Age (700-400 before Christ). In the beginning of anno Domini, in so-called Roman age a settlement existed there, where the inhabitants dealt with iron metallurgy. Řeporyje got its name after medicinal herb of agrimony, which was probably plentiful there. As this herb has very long roots it must have been dug up very hard. Those who had done this work were called agrimony-diggers (řeporyjci) and their village was called Řeporyje. Řeporyje was joined to the capital of Prague in 1974.

Řeporyje Square is a previous village square with the crossroad, built-up along two sides. There is a public traffic bus stop. In the middle of the square there is a triangle centre with a lawn and bushes. There is standing a guide post with touristic signs because Řeporyje surroundings can offer a lot.

On the small hill in the front of the square there is standing a significant sacral monument, church of St Peter and Paul. In its core the church is a Romanesque building from 12th century, originally a squared center with four apsidioles. Later on, there was a prismatic tower added to that. In 1772 the church underwent radical reconstruction in the patronage of Old-Town college of the Society of Jesus – the Jesuits, who owned the homestead in Řeporyje at that time. Reconstruction designs were elaborated by Prague builder Antonín Schmied. Then an oblong church with new presbytery arose. During 1900-1901 a partial reconstruction of the original building was made by arch. František Mach.

It is interesting that in 1909-1912 writer Jindřich Šimon Baar, who was a priest in neighbouring Ořech, acted there as a pastor.