praha.eu | magistrat.praha.eu | pis.cz
This content requires Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled.
Built on Flash Panorama Player.

SQUARE OF ANNA

Old town - Prague 1

GPS: 50°5'7.08"N, 14°24'52.92"E

The Square of Anna spreads east of the Smetanovo embankment below the building of the previous Anna’s cloister no. 211. The resent name has resulted from that. Cloister of the Dominican nuns Order was brought there in 1313, to the place of the previous Templar commendam. During Hussite wars in Prague also nuns of other Church orders harboured there. It is said that the cloister escaped destruction at that time because the local abbess was aunt of Jan Žižka of Trocnov. The cloister, which includes also the Church of St. Anna in its premises, was abolished during Joseph’s reforms in 1782. In the premises of the previous cloister, there is also a baroque new building no. 948 from 1719 according to design by arch. František Maxmilián Kaňka. Anenská Street, Na Zábradlí Street and Stříbrná Street run into the area of the square.

A significant baroque building of Palace of Pachta of Rájov no. 208 turns with its entrance single-axis front to the square. Its large yard is surrounded by four wings, which touch not only Stříbrná, Náprstkova and Na Zábradlí Streets, but also Smetanovo embankment. The northern neighbour of the palace is corner Milevský house no. 209. It is distinguished as popular theatre called Na Zábradlí acts there. This square frontage is completed with corner three-storied and four-winged house no. 203, which spreads through the block to embankment. Designs of the neo-renaissance new-building were elaborated in 1847 by builder and architect Jan Bělský.

Northern side of the Square of Anna is formed by a separate, three-storied house no. 188 with late classicist front form 1843-1844. Although it is a separate house it is perceived as a part of the house U Francouzské koruny, which spreads to Karlova Street and which has the same number.

In the corner of the Square of Anna there is standing a baroque fountain with gilded two-tailed crowned lion on the spike of the artificially made cover. The fountain with stone ornamental kerb was brought there from the previous barrack in Újezd because of their abolishment in 1926.