praha.eu | magistrat.praha.eu | pis.cz
This content requires Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled.
Built on Flash Panorama Player.

THE SQUARE OF HEYROVSKY

Predni Kopanina - Prague 6

GPS: 50°5'12.12"N, 14°20'21.84"E

The Square of Heyrovsky was named like that in 1972. It happened in the honour of the Czech physical chemist, professor Jaroslav Heyrovský (1890-1967). The Czech scientist was appointed an honourable doctor of numerous world universities. But mainly he became the first Czechoslovak awardee of the prestigious Nobel Prize for chemistry, for the discovery of polarographic method and its use. He had been nominated for the Nobel Prize in this branch also in 1940, 1947 and 1956. He received it from the hands of Swedish king Gustaf Adolf VI in Stockholm on 10th December 1959.

In the western part of the square there is standing a significant architectonic piece from the second half of 20th century, Institute of Macromolecular Chemistry ČSAV no. 1888. A low, only two-storied and slightly bent building heads to the square’s face. In its centre there is a high portal, slightly inserted and emphasized by short advanced stairs. A high, six-storied building with smooth facade adjoins vertically to the northern front of this building, which forms some substructure. The whole was built as a steel skeleton on concrete basement in 1961-1965 according to the design by ing. arch. Karel Prager.

While the northern side of the square consist of mostly villa housing with front gardens, on the opposite side there is a fire station site, including cistern garages.

In the centre of the square there is a double-line round turning place for trams with departure stations towards the city centre.