praha.eu | magistrat.praha.eu | pis.cz
This content requires Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled.
Built on Flash Panorama Player.

THE SQUARE OF HOKEŠ

Predni Kopanina - Prague 6

GPS: 50°7'0.84000000000003"N, 14°17'52.08"E

Přední Kopanina lies north of Ruzyně by the today’s north-west boundary of the capital of Prague. The first mention of it comes from 1285; however its history is undoubtedly older. Although Přední Kopanina was joined, together with several others, to Prague as late as in 1974, it had been in touch with Prague even much earlier. In local cadastre there was extracted high-quality argillite in the territorial quarries, which was even called Gold and which was suitable not only for constructions, but also for stone and sculptural work. Argillite from Přední Kopanina was used even for the most outstanding Prague buildings and much later for their potential repairs.

Small Square of Hokeš has a roundabout in its centre. Previous farmsteads, which recall the past of this place, are turning into the square. There is standing a massive tree, a memorable lime, which is, as the relevant sign warns, protected by the state. The current name of the square is in the honour of local inhabitant, Josef Hokeš, who had died during the Prague rebellion against German occupants in May 1945.

Not far from the Square of Hokeš there is standing a significant sacral monument, Romanesque rotunda of St Mary Magdalene. It adequately belongs to the family of Prague Romanesque rotundas, of the Holy Cross in the Old Prague Town, of St Martin in Vyšehrad and of St Longin in the New Prague Town. Unfortunately, it has been omitted by almost all printed guidebooks. There is a small romantic cemetery around the rotunda of St Mary Magdalene.