praha.eu | magistrat.praha.eu | pis.cz
This content requires Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled.
Built on Flash Panorama Player.

VINOŘ SQUARE

Vinor - Prague 9

GPS: 50°8'33"N, 14°34'50.16"E

Very old and once a solely agriculture town of Vinoř on the north-west of Prague is first mentioned in the foundation charter of the collegiate chapter in Vyšehrad. The fact that Vinoř belonged to the chapter is also proven by a record from 1130. Since 14th century the owners of the town were rich Prague burghers. The Czernins of Chudenice, who bought the town in 1651, owned Vinoř until the World War II. Vinoř was joined to the capital of Prague on 1st July 1974, as the ninth district.

The smart Vinoř Square has continuous development along its northern and southern sides. There is a quite busy road passing through. A distinct dominant of the square is originally a medieval roman catholic church of the Elevation of the Holy Cross. In the first third of 18th century it was rebuilt and modified according to design by arch. František Maxmilián Kaňka (1674-1766), who built the Vinoř chateau as well. The baroque church is a three-nave building of basilica type with half-round presbytery, to whose northern part there is added a square sacristy. Along both sides of the frontal square tower with imperial roof there are stairs which form facade together with the tower. In the tower ground floor there is an entrance to the church with baroque dripstone; there is a huge oblong window in the floor above. The presbytery is decorated with a fleche tower, also ended with an imperial roof.

In the previous village square there is standing a one-storied building of the vicarage no. 16 with hip roof. On its front it has a memorial tablet, a reminder of the representatives of the anti-communist underground movement.

In front of the church, in the park area, there is standing a sandstone sculptural group of St Jan Nepomucký, on a pedestal with scroll-wings. The saint is holding a crucifix in his right hand and he has a closed book in his left hand, on which a clerical biretta is laid. He is standing on a huge fantastic fish, a symbol of silence. The sculptural group from the atelier of František Ignác Platzer dates to 1755.