praha.eu | magistrat.praha.eu | pis.cz
This content requires Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled.
Built on Flash Panorama Player.

VRŠOVICE SQUARE

Vrsovice - Prague 10

GPS: 50°4'9.12"N, 14°27'10.08"E

Centre of the previous town of Vršovice is Vršovice Square. The oldest mention on this area is from 1028 and it is related to a chapel of small dimensions, consecrated to St. Mary Magdalene. In this place there is standing a single-nave church of St. Nicholas nowadays. It is not only the oldest building in Vršovické Square, but also in the whole area of Vršovice. By the north church wall there is a sculpture of St. Jan Nepomucký from 1725. Behind the church there is a one-storied classicist building of vicarage no. 84, which together form an inseparable urbanistic unit.

On the north elevated part of the square there is a large building of previous homestead called Rangherka no. 120. It remembers that in half of 19th century businessman Jindřich Rangheri bred silk moths there and behind the premises there were spreading large mulberry park, nowadays there is Herold’s orchard. At the turn of 19th and 20th centuries Rangherka underwent huge building reconstruction and it was used for various purposes. At one time it used to be the most important building in Vršovice, it became a town hall.

On the western side, in the curve of the tram line there is standing an art-nouveau building of the previous Civil savings bank no. 67, which is Česká spořitelna, nowadays. It was constructed in 1911-1912 according to the design by arch. Antonín Balšánek. It stands out with the art decoration, in exterior as well as in interior. Sculptors Josef Mařatka, Ladislav Šaloun, František Uprka and painter Jakub Obrovský were participating in the realization.

From the south there is a main front of the house of Sokol Vršovický turning into the Vršovické Square. The house was founded on 8th May 1870. The large and very modern multifunctional building of that time was ceremoniously opened in the end of 1933.