praha.eu | magistrat.praha.eu | pis.cz
This content requires Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled.
Built on Flash Panorama Player.

ZBRASLAV SQUARE

Zbraslav - Prague 5

GPS: 49°58'32.88"N, 14°23'35.88"E

Zbraslav has very old and famous history. The first mention of it comes from 1115. King Ottokar II had a hunting lodge built there in the second half of 13th century. His son, Wenceslaus II gave the town to the Cistercian order and he had a monastery called Aula Regia (Royal Concourse) built there. All important representatives of the Přemyslid dynasty were successively buried there, later on King Wenceslaus IV as well. Zbraslav is mentioned as a town after 1304. The municipal coat-of-arms was given to it along 16th century. Zbraslav was joined to the capital of Prague on 1st July 1974.

There is a busy road running through the centre of the Zbraslav Square and there are two public traffic bus stops as well. In the lower part we can find a house no. 464 in the frontage of houses. It is fully necessary for life in Zbraslav as it has been a town hall since 1995. Whole north-west side is formed by a previous monastic brewery, which might have been working soon after foundation of the Cistercian monastery. After the Thirty Years’ War it was ruined and as late as in 1764 a new late baroque building of the brewery was built. Later on the civil owners were changing, but quality is said to be still excellent. Zbraslav brewery stopped to brew in 1950. In the upper part of the square there is a corer one-storied house, in whose ground floor there is a restaurant called Škoda lásky and where is also a memorial to composer Jaromír Vejvoda, the author of the world-famous polka of the same name.

Since 1928 there is standing a worthy dominant in the square, memorial to the victims of World War I. Core of the memorial consists of a massive boulder, smoothed with water, which was hauled up out of the Vltava’s bed at Kamýk. In the middle of the memorial there is standing a female figure, allegory of Czechia, in both hands holding a flagpole of unfurled flag, on which there is a Czech heraldic symbol, a two-tailed lion. Author of the sculpture is Josef Žák.