praha.eu | magistrat.praha.eu | pis.cz
This content requires Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled.
Built on Flash Panorama Player.

Bridge towers of Lesser Town

Lesser town - Prague 1 Category: Guard towes

GPS: 50°5'13.92"N, 14°24'25.92"E

Smaller Romanesque Judith’s Tower is the most visible remain of Judith’s bridge. It ranks among the oldest preserved buildings in Prague . The tower sustains of 3 floors and it is built from arenaceous marl aisler. In 1591 the tower gained renaissance coat – roof gables on both sides of its pyramidal roof and graphite rendering. The height of the tower from the bottom to the top of its saddle roof is 29.3 m. Today the only available access to the tower is through the house No. 56, which is attached to the east side of. National cultural monument Judith’s Tower is also a unique landmark of Romanesque Prague. Relief from arenaceous marl represents fragments of two persons in real life size. One of the figures sits on throne and the other is a kneeling young man in the profile.

Club for Old Town gained rooms in Judith’s Tower in 1927 and is settled here until today. The club was established already on 28th January 1900 as a protest and defence against destruction of building and cultural values.

Lesser Town’s higher tower was founded on 24th May 1464 in times of Czech king George z Poděbrad. The tower is a very precocious monument of Prague Gothic of the era after Hussites. In its appearance the tower suppose to imitate its Old Town sister. Its wall niches were most probably made for statues of the founders – Kings Charles IV., Wenceslas IV. and George from Poděbrady, who was the founder of this tower. The height of the tower from the bottom to the top of its roof is 43.5 m. Today the tower is in administration of Prague Information Services and is open for tourists. Different kinds of publications, city maps and souvenirs are available here.

The gate between towers sustains of two cuspidate Gothic parallel arcades. Upper edge of the gate is battlemented. Surfaces of the gate are decorated with emblems.