praha.eu | magistrat.praha.eu | pis.cz
This content requires Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled.
Built on Flash Panorama Player.

Church of Jan Hus Congregation in Vršovice

Vrsovice - Prague 10 Category: Church towers

GPS: 50°4'5.16"N, 14°27'29.88"E

 

The sanctuary of the Czechoslovak Hussite Church at Moskevská Street in Vršovice was built in 1930 as was the third in this part of Prague. Before this church there were two catholic churches built and consecrated to St. Nicholas and to the patron of the Czech Land St. Wenceslas.

In 1929 a design by Architect Václav Truksa was accepted. The foundation-stone was laid down on 22nd September 1929. It was given by the Congregation of Tábor brought directly from the so called “Kozí Hrádek” castle near Sezimovo Ústí, where Master Jan Hus once preached.

The reputable firm of Václav Nekvasil from Prague district Karlín was chosen as the main supplier. They took over the construction site on 16th March 1930 and were obliged to complete the work by the end of the same year. And that is what happened. A ceremonial opening of the Jan Hus Congregation Church for worshippers took place before Christmas on 21st December 1930.

The building of the Jan Hus Congregation in Vršovice and its concrete construction with panelled brickwork is remarkable proof of Czech constructivism. As it is traditional with this kind of property, the multi-functional building had also a residential part, retail premises and in the basement there was a much-favoured Jiráskovo Theatre. Even a columbarium was not missing here.

The mighty tetrahedral tower is the dominating factor in this building. It is topped by a styled quadrangular goblet and cross. A wider floor, which is glassed-in on all sides, extends the ground plan in the upper part of the tower. Under this floor there are four tall slim windows covered with shutters. The tower’s height is 33m including its goblet.