praha.eu | magistrat.praha.eu | pis.cz
This content requires Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled.
Built on Flash Panorama Player.

Church of St. Haštal

Old town - Prague 1 Category: Church towers

GPS: 50°5'27.96"N, 14°25'27.84"E

 

You could hardly find the name Haštalská on a list of Prague districts. The Old Town citizens regularly called by this name an area of parish settlement of the church of St. Haštal in the Old Town, north of Dlouhá Street and west of Revoluční Street.

The Gothic church with its prismatic tower (40m in height) stands on the site of a former Roman church in Haštalské Square. It was built in the 14th century and it’s reconstruction to the Baroque style was carried out by Pavel Ignác Bayer in 1689-1695. During the construction of its north aisle, which begun in the second half of the 14th century, the decision to build a double-aisle hall was taken. The hall ranks amongst the most precious manifestations of Prague’s Gothic architecture. Consequently the building boasts four aisles.

The church was probably founded by an order of German Knights. It also briefly belonged to the hospital of St. Agnes of Bohemia. The church was initially a parish church, then it became a calixtin church and a filial church and from 1739 it again became a parish church. The church was surrounded by a cemetery (the current area of Haštalské Squeare).

The three storied church steeple was built of rubble stone and it is, on two levels, drawn together by four rods. The windows are tall with only one exception. During the baroque reconstruction the steeple was given a new roof and a tall lantern with a spire and finial on the top. The entrance to the steeple stairs is on the right side from the main entrance door, which has a small stone portal. Two circular stairs will lead us up to the floor space with shuttered windows. A little resting-place is then four steps above. Further we have to walk up four flights of stairs with a total of 48 steps to get to the tower belfry. Only one bell is hanging here, two other beams are currently empty.