praha.eu | magistrat.praha.eu | pis.cz
This content requires Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled.
Built on Flash Panorama Player.

Church of St. Jan Nepomucky in Košíře

Kosire - Prague 5 Category: Church towers

GPS: 50°4'6.96"N, 14°21'57.96"E

 

The former Košíře village was absorbed by the Capital City of Prague on 1st of January 1922 and today is a settled part of Prague’s 5th District. The area of Košíře expanded in the period between the two world wars. The Catechet P. Snížek together with others therefore established the “Church association for the new church in Horní Košíře”. The ambitious plan started to come to light in 1934 at the time of P. Václav Chlumský, the vicar of Košíře.

A suitable piece of land had been purchased and Arch. Jaroslav Čermák (1901-1990) had been entrusted with the project for the church. Čermák proposed an apparently rigorous solution of a single-aisle central area, which was however very original and impressive.

After this project was approved by the respective authorities the Association started the church construction despite the start of the Second World War. The construction was carried out in 1940-1942 even though the works were not completed exactly according to the plan. The church was consecrated in honour of St. Jan Nepomucky. Sadly, the director of the church construction, Mr. Coufal, and his wife were killed by Nazis, reputedly for listening to restricted foreign broadcast.

A dominant feature of this church is the tall slim tower of 50m in height. The tower features a wooden staircase leading up to the top of the tower. The tower is crowned with an open belfry in the shape of the letter “U” turned up side down, or maybe an ‘n’. Originally the tower was supposed to house four bells. The plan could not have been followed due to the Second World War. The very top of the tower carries the cross.