In the names of some Prague squares there have been still kept reminders to the period, when business was done more or less in the open air. The prevailing sort of the goods, which had been sold there, then became the name of the square. It is just the case of the fruit Market, where the fruits were sold in particular.
In the area of the Fruit Market, opposite to the longitudinal side of Carolinum, there is standing a free building of the Estates Theatre no. 540, which was originally Nostitz’s Theatre. It was built in 1781 at the expense of František Ant. Count Nostitz-Rhieneck and according to the design by arch. Antonín Haffenecker. It is interesting that during 1890-1892 cast iron galleries were hoisted on lateral sides of the theatre because of the audience’s safety. The rear section of the building turns directly into the Fruit Market. Sometimes, it is possible to see there a truck, which brought the scenery or bulky properties for an evening performance.
Behind the Estates Theatre on the opposite side of Carolinum, there is an outstanding building of the Kolowrat Palace no. 579 with an early baroque front, made according to design by builder Domenico Orsi from 1697. Centre of this street frontage is taken by back front of the Myslbek Palace, which was built in a long-term vacancy during 1994-1996. The end is now formed by the New Mint no. 587, which has been used for the purpose of court nowadays.
Corner cubistic house U Černé Matky Boží no. 569 by Josef Gočár from 1912 partially touches in the square on the northern side. Other worthy burgher houses in this street frontage mostly spread through the whole block until Celená Street.