Bridge of Jirásek is another bridge which connects Prague New Town with Smíchov. Originally, it should have stood a little bit more on the north. It should have been accessed from Myslíkova Street and the side of Smíchov should have been at the present Children’s Island. There was even started preparation work, which is obvious until now.
Construction of the bridge started in the spring 1929, immediately after ice left. Authors of the designs were arch. Vlastislav Hofman and ing. František Mencl. The bridge of Jirásek is of reinforced-concrete, 310,60 m long and 21 m wide, with six arches. The biggest bay is the third one from the left shore with dimension of 51 m. The bridge should not have served for the traffic only, but it carried the utility lines, as it could be called nowadays. Pipes for fresh and industrial water, steam line from the heating plant, gas line and electric and telephone cables. Both bridgeheads were resolved generously. On the side of Smíchov there was even, in spite of protests of Old Prague lovers, taken off baroque Dientzenhofer pavilion, built in 1735 for the Jesuit order.
The new Prague bridge was partially opened in one direction in December 1931. Cars were only driving in the direction from New Town to Smíchov. The pedestrians might walk in both directions, but only on the pavement on side at Mánes. It was curious that they were not allowed to stop on the bridge due to narrow profile. The appropriate prohibitory signs were placed regarding this fact. The bridge was completed in its full imposing width on 27th October 1933 and subsequently it was handed over for the traffic.
It was named in the honoured of writer, Alois Jirásek, who had lived in 1903-1930 in the house no. 1775 on the corner of present Jirásek square and Resslova Street. He wrote most of his work there and he died there as well. Only in 1940-1945 the bridge was called the bridge of Dientzenhofer.
There are beautiful views from the bridge of Jirásek, which was generally reconstructed in 1992-1994. In the southern direction there is view of steamer port, in the northern direction there is view of two water towers, standing on a shared dam and of other objects of old Prague.