On the place of recent church used to be a chapel founded besides the house for emeritus priests, which was established in 1679 by suffragan Jan Dlouhoveský. Already this chapel,consecrated on 22nd June 1681, was dedicated to Seven Sorrows’ Virgin Mary.
Change came after the members of St. Elizabeth Order acquired surrounding sites and funds to build here a convention where they could devote their time in caring for the poor and sick women. In the frame of large complex construction the chapel was demolished in June 1724. The very next month works on the new baroque building started. The construction plan was prepared by Kilián Ignác Dientzenhofer and its own realization was quick (1724-1725). Single aisle church at Na Slupi Street (recent street name) was also dedicated to Seven Sorrows’ Virgin Mary. In 1761 this sacred building was extended. The chapel of St. Tekly was built on the north side by the project plan of Josef Ignác Juschek. Forefront of the church and chapel are facing the busy street and the large ornate Baroque windows are its dominating features.
The steeple rises above the church forefront ended by tympanum and it reaches 31,5 m. Its lower part is covered by to the street castellated ornate gable with semicircular cornice. In the middle of the gable there is a niche with the statue of Seven Sorrows’ Virgin Mary. The top of the steeple is composed by polygonal onion dome with finial and cross. Also the roof of chapel has its classical sanctuary turret.
The church, chapel and convent, including hospital building, were by the previous regime confiscated in 1949. The St. Elizabeth Order was given back its property only after 1991.