The most important building in the Old Town Square is the Old Town Hall. It has been standing in the very centre of the city as an independence symbol. On the front it bears a proud slogan Praga caput regni – Prague, head of the kingdom. The Town Hall, as we have known it nowadays, rose by joining successively purchased burgher houses or those, which were given as donations and which were modified several times in the course of centuries. Its decoration is represented by a massive prismatic tower, in which there are town hall’s bay chapel and the famous astronomical clock.

The northern side of the square had been formed by neo-gothic wing of the town hall; however it was destroyed in fights of the Prague rebellion in May 1945, in the very end of World War II. The ruins were removed and only a fragment was left there as a reminder and warning. Crosses in the pavement admonish to the bloody Old Town execution on 21st June 1621.

In the southern street frontage there stands out the house U Kamenné Panny Marie no. 552 with its painted facade, built in 1897 for Štorch Publishing House. In the eastern street frontage there is standing the house no. 605, to which its gothic shape has been returned recently. Furthermore, there is Palace of Golz-Kinsky no. 606.

From the original buildings only the premises of the previous Vincentian convent no. 903 were left in the northern side of the square. Other buildings, which had been standing there, were demolished during sanitation at the run of 19th and 20th centuries. Nowadays, there has been standing palace of the previous Prague City Insurance Company no. 932 and 934 on their places.

Sacral architecture of the square is represented with dignity by gothic church of the Virgin Mary in front of Týn and baroque church of St Nicholas.

In the square area there is standing large memorial to Master Jan Hus, work by Ladislav Šaloun. It was unveiled on 6th July 1915.