Haštalská quarter – this name could be hardly found in the official overview of Prague quarters. However, in this way the old Prague citizens usually called the area of parish subdivision of the Church of St. Castul in the Old Town of Prague, north of Dlouhá Avenue and west of Revoluční Avenue. In the past the parish had its defined exact boundary, each school or burgher house were sure if they belonged to the parish or not.
Centre of the parish was just the Haštalské Square, named after dedication of the church which was standing there. It is a gothic church, longitudinal with high prismatic tower. It was built in 14th century in the place of previous Romanesque church. In 1689-1695 mainly its upper parts were modified in baroque style according to design by arch. Pavel Ignác Bayer. It is interesting that substantial Czech painter Josef Mánes was baptized there in May 1820. Consecration of the church in honour of Saint Castul is quite rare in central Europe. The saint lived in 3rd century in the court of Emperor Diocletianus. He hid the Christians in his house in the time of their persecution. He was betrayed and died by a martyr’s death.
Building of the previous vicarage no. 789, north of the church, is of gothic origin. It became a vicarage in 1739 and soon after it was rebuilt. Fragment of Krocínova fountain, which had been standing on the Old-Town Square, is immured in the outer wall. The building is a valuable and picturesque rest of the previous Haštalská quarter. Nowadays it is used by Orthodox Catholic Church.
There is also an interesting house, no. 1041 in the eastern part of the square, previous charnel-house. From the urbanistic point of view a very remarkable building which was constructed in 1717 in the place of older estate. The charnel-house belonged to cemetery, which was previously spreading over part of the square. The cemetery and the charnel-house were cancelled in 1832. After building modifications parish clerks of St. Castul were living in the house for some time.