After foundation of the New Prague Town in 1348 the area was called Hay Market, a century later, in 1896 it was called Senovážné Square. The name reflected the fact that the hay market and hay weighing machine used to be in this place. During 1896-1940 it was called the Square of Havlíček. During German occupation the name Senovážné was returned and then until 1947 it was the Square of Havlíček again. During 1947-1951 the square bore name of Soukup, after the Czech politician and journalist, JUDr. František Soukup (1871-1940), who was Secretary of Justice for two years after foundation of ČSR and a Senate Chairman during 1929-1939. In 1951 the square got name of Maxim Gorky, after one of the classics of Soviet literature, Maxim Gorky (1868-1936), who visited Prague. After 1990 the name of Senovážné Square was returned.
Definite dominant feature of the square is previous city tower and belfry at the church of St Henry from 1472-1476. It is the tallest freely standing belfry in Prague. It had experienced several fires and fierce wind was its enemy, as well. After fire in 1745 baroque modifications were realized and in 1880 re-gothization was completed by arch. Josef Mocker. Abandoned and shabby tower was hugely reconstructed in the end of the nineties of the last century and new self-supporting reinforced concrete structure was inserted inside. It has ten floors and it the highest there is newly installed a peal of ten bells.
Likewise each historical square also the Senovážné Square is surrounded with significant houses. Several tram lines are running through there. Small well-preserved park in its eastern part is worth seeing. There is also standing a modern fountain, unveiled on 22nd April 2002. The lovely piece of art was projected by academic sculptor Jan Wagner; bronze sculptures have been made by Austrian of Czech origin, sculptor and painter Anna Chromy.