The wooden church consecrated to St. Michael is situated in the upper part of Kinského garden on Petřín hill. Originally the church was built in the second half of the 17th century in the village of Velké Loučky near Mukačevo (today’s Zakarpatska Ukraine). The whole building was made of wood and ranks amongst the most beautiful peasant buildings of this region. The timbered church is more than 14m long and is about 8m in width. The main and also the tallest steeple is over 17m tall. The other smaller towers are situated above the aisle and above the choir. All three tower structures are polychromous. The three colours used - white, green and red - are the symbols of faith, hope and love. The steeples have a square ground plan, several terraced roofs, onion shape domes and crosses on their very tops. Unfortunately there are not visible from a distant view as they are surrounded by full-grown vegetation. The compact nature of the building is enhanced by the lower part of the roof, which continues around the whole church supported by pillars.
The village of Velké Loučky sold the church to its richer neighbour village so called Medvedovce in 1793. The building was taken apart and put together again in its new place. The church was given to the Prague City and transferred in 1929. It must have been taken apart again with its individual parts marked with numbers. The parts were then carried on four railway wagons. The transfer was financed by the National Museum with support of the Minister of education and national enlightenment.
After thorough research and selection, the hill slope of Petřín was finally chosen so the wooden precious church could stand again on a prominent green place. The church construction was supervised by the vicar of Medvedovce.