The World Exhibition took place in Paris in 1889. Its major attraction became the very constructed Eiffel Tower. Members of the Czech Tourists Club, who visited this exhibition, were fascinated by the tower’s beauty and therefore decided to build its imitation in Prague. A Society of the view-tower on Petrin hill was founded and its constitutive meeting was held on 28th April 1890. The tower supposed to be several times smaller then the original, about 70 m. This fact should be however generously compensated by the chosen location. Completion of the construction was planned for the 1891 year, when the anniversary Municipal Exhibition was held in Prague. Indeed that year on 2nd July a standard flattered on top of the view-tower giving a signal that the iron construction assembly was completed. The tower was ceremoniously opened for public on 20th August 1891. The press spares no superlatives in its commentaries and presented all sites visible from the tower on good weather conditions.
Steel construction weighted 174 tons and including the royal crown on its top the tower measured 60 m. Restaurant was arranged in its ground brick pavilion. The tower’s cabin and its gallery in height of 19 m as well as the glazed view cabin in height of 51 m were accessible by two spiral stairs and by a lift bearing max 6 persons. Each stair had 299 steps and each step was 17 cm high.
From 1953 the view-tower was used for regular TV broadcast in Prague. System of aerials was installed on top of the tower and other technical equipment was installed inside. Eve then the tower was opened for the public. The TV broadcast was ended in 1992 after the TV tower in Ziskov was put into operation. The view-tower on Petrin hill went recently through general reconstruction and is opened for public during tourist season.