The Novomlýnská Water Tower stands at the south fend of Štefanik Bridge. This significant cultural and technical monument is at first sight in a bad state of repair. In the past the tower brought water to all living in the lower part of New Town. Unfortunately this has been forgotten and the tower is now left to its fate. If it could speak we would probably hear some sour words about human ingratitude.
Prague’s historical water houses were drawing water from the Vltava River. The energy that was necessary for transferring the water was derived from the natural flow of the river. Weirs built for the mills were also used for this purpose. They were being built crossways to the river axis by designs made by the millers. Millers were past masters in water utilization and engineering.
The current water tower was completed in 1658 probably with the same ground plan as its predecessor, which was destroyed during the big flood of 6th February 1655. The Renaissance tower made of rubble stone is faced with block sand-stones. The entrance on the north side is adorned by a richly embossed rectangular portal with trnasom light. Each of the five floors of the tower has, on each side, an axially placed long window in a moulded frame with an inward gear design. The sixth floor has, on each side, three windows. The roof has a pyramidal shape. The current water tower has had its ledges removed for safety.
It has been a long time since the original housing and mills, which stood here, were demolished. The river Vltava has since receded and is far away from the tower. The water would have to navigate two busy roads to be of use to the tower and so several attempts to restore the water tower have failed.