The church of St. Simon and Judy is situated on U Milosrdných Street in Old Town. As the only church in Prague it was consecrated to two Apostles – St. Simon of Zealot and St. Judy Thaddaeus – who went to North Africa and Persia to spread the Gospels. Both died a martyr’s death.
Originally the hospital chapel of the same consecration used to stand on this site. This chapel was founded before 1357. The same walls were used in 1615-1620 to build the hall construction with galleries and chapels. The church in the late Renaissance style served as a meeting-house for the Czech Brothers and it was consecrated on 14th July 1620. Shortly after the consecration, on Christmas Day of the same year, the Emperor Ferdinand II gave the church to the Order of Merciful Brothers.
Members of the order started to reconstruct the meeting-house in no time. Also a new convent and a large hospital were built during this period. The church was again consecrated in 1632 and during the following renovations gained a baroque facia. Unfortunately the order had to leave the premises during the communist era and the church became a repository of the Museum of the Capital City of Prague. After 1990 the building was given back to its original owners. The church was thoroughly reconstructed and rented for the purpose of classical music concerts. The historical organ also underwent extensive repairs.
The church steeple, which is 39m tall, is situated on the east side. The steeple, originally of Gothic-Renaissance style, was adjusted in 1620 and in 1720. Today it has typical signs of the peak-Baroque style such as the corner pilasters, the cornice segmentation and the oval windows. The octahedral bulbous roof with lantern is crowned with a spike, a finial and a cross. The tower also features a spiral staircase, which leads to the belfry.