In the era after the Thirty-year’s War, when Prague built a new baroque rampart, new suburban castles, chateaus and estates were established in the surrounding area. Troja Chateau is exceeding amongst all others located at the north margin of the Prague basin, which used to be covered by vineyards. The construction of this chateau was initiated by an ambitious and well-educated aristocrat Václav Vojtěch from Štemberk (around 1640-1708). The bulk of the construction work was carried out between 1679 and 1685, but the interior art work and extensive garden arrangements were delayed until almost the end of the builder’s life. Various literatures mostly mention the Architect Jean Baptist Mathey in connection with the castle project.
The centre of the baroque three-part building is composed of a super elevated buttress, which connects the lower side wings on the east and west. Rising above are two stair turrets with lookout rooms. Each of these turrets bears two chimneys and a spire with finial. The overall monument composition is supported with oval platform stairs facing the garden, which is adorned with sculptures representing the congregation of the gods and goddesses of Olympia and their helpers protecting the sky from rebellious Giants. The authors of these sculptures are Jan Jiří Hermann and his nephew Pavel Hermann. Jan is the author of the architectural composition. This piece of art matured between 1685 and 1703. There are also single-storied farm buildings located behind the castle.
The extensive renovation of the Troja Chateau area was carried out between 1977 and 1989. The chateau is maintained by the ‘Gallery of the Capital City of Prague’ and is open to the public including the garden. Significant social events take place here occasionally.