On 16th April 1901 joining Libeň to Prague was legalized and thus Libeň became the last suburban village, which was joined to the capital city before the World War I as its 8th district. As a consequence the town districts of Holešovice and Libeň were connected via temporary wooden bridge over the river Vltava a year later.
Occasion for construction of a new bridge came after the Ministry of Public Work had decided to realize a generous regulation of the river in this place. Thus the bridge could be built on dry land partially and after that the flow of river Vltava was diverted to a new channel under the bridge spans.
Authors of the project of the new reinforced-concrete bridge from Holešovice to Libeň were ing. František Mencl and arch. Pavel Janák. Static calculation was carried out by ing. Václav Dašek. Construction was started in the end of 1924. All building work ended four years later, in the autumn. The new bridge had total length of bridge structures of 370 m. Total length of this bridge road, including earth banks, supporting the road at both ends and in the middle in crossing of maninský and libeňský peninsulas, was 780 m. With the width of 21 m, it was the longest and widest Prague bridge at that time. However, plastic decoration was completely missing; it was designed and understood as a fully purposeful and technical piece. Function of double line city electric railway on the bridge deck has been kept till now. The bridge was ceremoniously handed over for use to Prague public on 29th October 1928, within celebrations of tenth anniversary of rise of the Czechoslovak Republic.
Pursuant to the Prague tradition, this bridge changed its name for several times. After its establishment it was called Libeňský, during 1938-1940 the Bridge of Baxa, during German occupation in 1940-1945 the name Libeňský was returned. Then it had been called the Bridge of Baxa for several years, since 1952 it bore the name Stalingradský. Nowadays, the original name Libeňský Bridge has been returned.