The property of the Jan Hus Congregation of the Czechoslovak Church at Vinohrady at Dykova Street was envisioned as a multi-functional building. Under its spacious chapel there was supposed to be a theatre hall although it is a columbarium today. Further there is a five-floor residential house, offices, clubrooms and other premises. The lucky designer proved to be an avant-garde architect named Ing. Pavel Janák who was famous for designing excellent modern constructivist architecture.
The symbolic foundation stone was laid on 26th October 1930, but the actual construction work started as late as 1st July 1932. The works proceeded quickly and were completed within 14 months. The expense of the construction was slightly underestimated and ran to a total over 4 million crowns.
The ceremonial consecration could therefore have been carried out on 1st October 1933. Even before this date on 25th June 1933 the so called Celebration of the Goblet took place here in the presence of many worshippers and beholders. A giant, cooper goblet of 700 kg was brought here in a ceremonial parade. After it was consecrated it was erected to the top of the tower.
The tower itself is a significant feature of the building. It is tetrahedral and constructed of with an iron-concrete frame. Above the walled ground floor there are six other floors created with corner pillars. A winding iron stairway leads half way up the tower followed by fixed iron ladders. The height of the tower is 34.5m plus 2.35 m for the goblet.
The Jan Hus Congregation of Czechoslovak Church at Vinohrady is well know for the fact that it was used as an alternative broadcasting studio during the armed rising in May 1945.