We could say that the history of Prague’s water-supply engineering started to be written after the construction of the Common Waterhouse in Kárané was completed in 1914. During the first half of the twenties other water towers were being gradually connected to the Prague water-supply system – the former water tower of Vršovice in Bráník. The City of Prague was expanding and after a new law, so called the “Grand Prague” law, came into operation on 1st January 1922, the city urgently needed a new water-house. The decision was taken to build a water-house in Podolí. The Prague water-supply system was now taking water from three water-houses – Kárané, Bráník and Podolí.
Prague kept on expanding, the number of Prague inhabitants was continuously growing, households were getting modernized and the demand for drinking water was therefore growing as well. A new water-house called Želivka was built in the 1960’s. This water-house had the biggest state-of-the-art water preparation plant for the Capital City. Treated water was being transferred to Prague by a tunnelled upstream waterway.
In addition the Prague water-supply system was being fundamentally changed. New reservoirs and water filling stations were built, which were mutually connected in case of an accident or breakdown in one of the water-supply sections. Such accidents were not unusual as the water-supply system, especially in the historical part of town, was out-of-date.
One of the newly constructed buildings was a booster pump station named Děvín at Dívčí Hrady. Technically this station is unusual in that it takes water directly from the pipes without the water pressure in the reservoir dropping. The equalizing pressure water-tower is being used as the reservoir substitute. This tower sustains three body tubes and is visible from many directions thanks to its height (50m) and its location.