The monumentality of Cathedral of St. Vitus at Prague Castle is even more distinguished while night floodlighting. Thanks to wide III. courtyard it is the most visible from the south side from where the observer has a sufficient distance. Thus the observer can admire the challenging gothic supporting system of the oldest part including all architectural and art details and also a big south tower of Cathedral of St. Vitus measuring almost a hundred metres founded by Petr Parléř in 1396. In consequences of war incidents it took several generations to constructed the tower and was not finished until 1560-1562 by imperial builders Bonifác Wohnut and Hans Tirol. They completed the tower that on its gothic body they put down the reneissance gallery with a bulb roof, which has ben modfiied in 1770 after the project of Nicola Pacassi. In its internals the tower keep bells, including the biggest czech one called Zikmund.
     On the right from the tower is the Golden gate of cathedral leading into a cross aisle. It is composed of an arcade portico carrying a chamber of crown jewels of the Czech kingdom. Above the arcade of the gate there is a mosaic of the Final trial with the characters of the czech patrons and appearance of Charles IV. and Eliška Pomořanská. The extraordinary work of art developed between 1370-1371.

The three-aisled gothic cathedral with the cross aisle, tribune and a ring of chapels was established on 21st of November 1344 by czech king John Lucemburský accompanied by his sons Charles and Henry and by the first prague´s archbishop Arnošt from Pardubice. Surely the founders didn´t except that the construction of the cathedral will take six centuries. The first builders who have done some work here were Matyáš from Arras and Petr Parléř. Along with the building´s completion in a new-gothic style (1872 ´til 1929)  both west towers with its height of 81 meters have been raised. These towers compared to big south tower are without bells and clock.  

The celebration of their completion was hold on 15th of October 1892. Between these towers there is the main entrance into the cathedral which is composed by three portals with the mighty bronze gate.