The Constance Square was organized into the present shape in 1889. It is the illustrative example of the difficult terrain configuration which the architects and planners had to deal with in many places of Žižkov. In the western side of the square even the balancing stairs had to be inserted. Accident of terrain was later on used for construction of the building of transformer station. Eastern side of the square is adapted like a park.
Since its foundation it has borne the present name, Constance Square. It is named in the memory of significant event of Czech history. On 6th July 1415 the Czech religious thinker, priest and reformer, Jan Hus (approximately 1371-1415) was burnt to death in Baden city of Constance (Konstanz) in front of the city walls. The executioners dug out the ash with the ground and threw it into the near river Rýn so that relics of the brave Czech, who had been accused of heresy, would not become the subject of worship.
Štítného Street, where the famous Žižkov Theatre of Jára Cimrman has its seat in the house no. 520, opens into the Constance Square as well as Dalimilova, Jeronýmova, Řehořova, Husinecká and Blahníkova Streets.
The Square is surrounded with apartment houses. On the house no. 776 on the western side of the square there is mounted a memorial tablet saying: „Graphic artist Vladimír Boudník had lived and died on 5.12.1968 in this house“. Let’s add that the aforementioned belonged to the close friends of writer Bohumil Hrabal, who had presented him as a main character in his prose called Něžný barbar (The Gentle Barbarian).