The sloping Square of Žižka was founded in 1904. Since then until 1947 it bore the name of Kollár, after the Slovak poet, national awakener and the messenger of Slavic reciprocity, Ján Kollár (1793-1852). His writing peak is a monumental collection of poems Slávy dcera (The Daughter of Sláva), which he kept extending and completing during his life. During 1947-1958 the square was called of Chelčický, in the honour of spiritual founder of the Church of Brothers, Petr Chelčický (approximately 1380-1460) and then it was the Square of Žižka, in the memory of the famous Hussite commander and politician, Jan Žižka of Trocnov, who was born around 1360. Jan Žižka fought his last great victorious battle of Malešov on 7th June 1424 against the united armies of Prague citizens and the nobility. He died on 11th October in the same year during the campaign to Moravia.
Centre of the square has been adjusted like a park and there are a children’s playground in its upper part and separately enclosed playground for ball games. The area has been equipped with benches.
The eastern side of the square is completely dominated with monumental building no. 1300 in modern classicist style from 1924-1927, according to design by arch. František Vahala. The symmetrical building culminates in pair of raised projections of the wall. In the beginning it was used as the State Vocational School for Timber Processing, nowadays it has been the College of Applied Arts and High School of Applied Arts. Among school equipment there are library, computer classrooms with internet connection, swimming pool, covered playground and bowling lane.