Karlín, nowadays a part of Municipal district of Prague 8, is the oldest Prague suburb. Building activity was started there at the turn of 18th and 19th centuries pursuant to the precise site layout. The newly risen urbanistic unit has also its central square, Karlínské Square at the present.
The large Karlínské Square, whose area is formed mainly by park adaptation, had changed its name several times during its existence. At first it was called just the Square, during 1871-1877 it was the Square at School, which existed there in no. 145, and then during 1877-1883 it was the Karlínské Square. For quite a long time, 1883-1940, it was called the Square of Jungmann, after the Czech awakener and linguist Josef Jungmann (1773-1847). During German occupation it was the Square of Březina, after Czech poet Otokar Březina (1868-1929). After end of World War II the name of Jungmann was returned for three years, during 1947-1961 the name was changed to the Square of Cyril and Methodius, after the Slavic apostles Cyril and Methodius, in whose honour the local church is consecrated. The last name has been the Karlínské Square so far.
The church of Cyril and Methodius was built there in 1854-1863. The three-nave neo-Romanesque basilica with strongly surmounted central nave and two towers adjacent to the chancel on the right and on the left, is visible in many Prague views just thanks to its high towers. Design of the church had been elaborated by Vienna architect Karel Rösner and Prague architect Ignác Ullmann, who controlled construction then.
The eastern and western sides of the Karlínské Square are formed by apartment houses, in the north it is defined by Sokolovská Street and Křižíkova Street is running through its centre