The Square of Strossamyer belongs to the cadastre of Holešovice - Bubny. We can find the first mention of Bubny as early as in 1088. In 11th century there also existed a settlement, mentioned as a royal property until 1228, called Holešovice. In 1850 cadastres of both of the towns were merged under the name Holešovice – Bubny. Joining to the capital of Prague occurred due to municipal act from 18th November 1884. Holešovice - Bubny became 7th Prague district.
Nowadays the busy Square of Strossmayer, n front of the church of St Antonín Paduánský, was founded in the beginning of 20th century. It got its first official name in 1908 and it was Bubenské Square, however at first it was popularly called In front of the church. In 1925 the name was changed to the Square of Strossmayer.
Josip Juraj Strossmayer (1818-1905) was a progressive supporter of Croatian national efforts. In February 1838 he had been ordained as a priest and ten years later he became bishop in Dakovo and later on an archbishop in Zagreb. The promoter of Slavic mutuality, J. J. Strossmayer, holder of many degrees and awards, was also an honorary citizen of Prague.
A distinctive dominant is the pseudo-gothic church of St Antonín Paduánský, which closes the square area in the east with its two-tower front. The foundation stone was laid in 1908. Building work on the church according to design by arch. František Mikš proceeded in 1908-1911. After completion of interiors it was consecrated in 1914 by Prague archbishop Lev Skrbenský of Hříště.