The Square of 14th October is situated between Štefánikova, Matoušova and Zborovská Streets. Since the eighties it had been called Wenceslas Square. During 1895-1920 there was used the name of the Church Square. Both of the names resulted from the fact that in 1881-1885 there was constructed a neo-renaissance three-nave basilica of St Wenceslas with pair of towers in the front according to the design by arch. Antonín Barvitius. The distinguished sacral architecture has been ideally completed with painting and sculptures. Behind the church there is a parish building, which provides necessary background for activities of the parishioners.
During 1920-1940 the square got name of 14th October. The reason was that on this day in 1918 there was held a general strike arranged by the Socialist Committee, focused against Austria-Hungary and on proclamation the Czechoslovak Republic. During German occupation the square was renamed the Square of Stamic, in the honour of Czech musician and composer Jan Václav Stamic (1717-1757). Then the name of the Square of 14th October was returned again.
The central front of baroque folly Portheimka, which was built in 1728 by architect Kilián Ignác Dientzenhofer, is turned into the square or better into its park side. One of its side wings was demolished in connection with construction of St Wenceslas Church.
The building of previous National House no. 82 dominates in the square development. An art-nouveau prestige building of the previous town of Smíchov, with sculptures by sculptors Josef Pekárek and Antonín Mára, was constructed according to the design by arch. Alois Čenský in 1907-1908.
In the small park in the square there is standing so-called Bear fountain, which was brought there from the previous Slavatovská garden. The fountain, decorated with the sculpture of Neptune and sculptures of little bears under the lower shell, was made in 1689 by sculptor Jeroným Kohl.