Area of the Square of Palacký is bounded with the buildings of Ministry of Health on the east and with high apartment houses on the north. The boundary is formed by Zítkovy orchards in the southern side. On the western side there is a busy quay road, which forms the foreland of the Bridge of Palacký at the same time, which was built in 1876-1878 by the building company of Klein brothers according to design by ing. Josef Reiter. The whole area under Emmaus, including the ministerial buildings, basically got its present shape in 1924-1929 by architect Bohumil Hypšman. It was one of the most outstanding urbanistic projects in Prague between the World Wars. In the present period the entrances into underground hall of B route were responsively incorporated in the square.
The indisputable dominant feature is the memorial to historian and politician František Palacký (1798-1876). Although its establishment had been decided as early as in 1876, the jury decided on the winning competition project in July 1901. It was the model by a professor of Applied Arts University, Stanislav Sucharda (1866-1916). Arch. Alois Dryák participated in the work in the architectonic aspect. The main part of the memorial, a sitting figure of František Palacký, was rendered in granite by Stanislav Sucharda, which he considered as the most dignified material for this purpose. The spiritual leader and awakener of the nation is surrounded on the pylon with allegoric bronze group, representing genius of the history and voices of the history, to which Palacký listens with respect. There are bronze allegories of Oppression and Awakening of the Nation on the right and on the left, low at the ground on the pedestal projections. Ceremonious unveiling the memorial took place on 1st July 1912.
During German occupation in 1939, the memorial was dismounted and it should have been destroyed according to direction of the occupation authorities. However, brave patriots found, who had hidden the damaged memorial in a remote enclosure and let it become overgrown with weeds. Thus in 1948 the memorial could be only completed by the missing parts and mounted ceremoniously again.