The Square got its first name, of Palacký, in 1911, and it lasted until 1940. František Palacký (1798-1876) was a Czech politician and historian, founder of modern Czech historiography. During German occupation the square was called Cyril’s, it was him who spread Slavic liturgy within the Great Moravia together with his brother Methodius. Then the name of the Square of Palacký was returned again, during 1948-1962 it was the Square of Legionaries. But the changes continued and new naming brought the Square of the Paris Commune.
In 1997 it was renamed to the Square of General Kutlvašr, in the honour of the Czech patriot, legionary, participant of the fable battle of Zborov, military commander of the Prague May rebellion in 1945, brigadier general Karel Kutlvašr (1895-1961). He was a bearer of numerous important military orders, including the foreign. President of the republic, Edvard Beneš, decorated him with the Czechoslovak Military Cross. He was fiercely persecuted during the communist regime.
Centre of the square is taken by a preserved park with full-grown green vegetation. The building of town hall turns there with its western side and one of the oldest school buildings MČ Prague 4, elementary school Táborská no. 421 turns there with its front in the northern side. On the southern side, from the elevated point the building of Sokol in Nusle no. 700, from 1925 turns with its front there as well.
At the foot of the slope below the Sokol in Nusle there is a Memorial to three resistances. The memorial, which is formed by a smooth inscription tablet with dates 1914-1918, 1939-1945 and 1948-1989, is completed by a wide fountain, reminding the passage of time. Authors of good, architectonically and aesthetically balanced work are František Novotný and Jaroslav Suchan. They made use of the original terrain configuration. Ceremonious unveiling the memorial happened on 26th June 1997.