The Square of Heroes rose due to modification of quite large area in front of the new court building no. 1300, and thus it was called the Court Square since 1938 to 1947. Since 1947 it is named the Square of Heroes in the honour of patriots, who were executed in the prison in Pankrác during German occupation, especially in notorious axe-room, where there is a sacred place, nowadays. Other criteria for naming the square were courage and bravery of the heroes, who were fighting in the Prague May rebellion. Fierce fights, in which scores of human lives were lost, occurred straight in the close surroundings of the prison. By the way, numerous memorial tablets on the local houses bear the evidence.
Depot of Pankrác, built on the free land next to the prison in Pankrác, turns with its entrance into the square. The building was designed by the Project department of electrical lines under command of dr. ing. Voigts, with use of all so-far modern knowledge. Architectonic design was realized by arch. Kamil Roškot. Construction of the depot in Pankrác, where the shed of public traffic buses were for a long time, was done in 1925-1927. Parts of the depot are also two apartment houses with the same no. 725, constructed for the employees.
A monumental building of the Regional Criminal Court no. 1300 was constructed in front of the prison according to design by arch. Bedřich Bendlmayer in the eastern side of the square during 1929-1933.
Then the Court Square experienced the last public execution in the Czech countries. The Nazi’s acolyte, previous deputy of the mayor of Prague, dr. Josef Pfitzner, was hung there on 6th September 1945, with huge attendance of the viewers.
Well, the Square of Heroes is accessible by the present North-south trunk road, tram traffic, but especially by the underground of C route – station of the Prague rebellion