The square was founded in 1903, and until 1940 it was called the Square of Rieger, after Czech politician and patriot František Ladislav Rieger (1818-1903). During German occupation it was named the Square of Methodius. Native of Greek Thessaloniki, Methodius (815-885) together with his younger brother Cyril played important roles in rise of our literature and development of Christian culture in the Great Moravia. After end of World War II the name of Rieger was returned to the square. In 1948 it was named the Square of Syneks Brothers. Otto Synek (1900-1941) was a member of parliament and a journalist, Viktor Synek (1903-1941) a journalist. Both of them paid for their resistance activities against the German occupants with the highest penalty; they were executed in 1941.
Nowadays, the square is surrounded mainly with perfect apartment houses. There is a line of electric railway running through the centre, which has also the stations there. These stations are being used by one line of public traffic bus.
Building of the previous National House no. 2 turns into the square with its main front. The three-storied corner building with neo-renaissance facade has a dominant location in this area. In the thirties the Civil savings bank in Vršovice had its branch there. Now there is one of the branches of Česká spořitelna.
Earlier, there used to be eleven big round stalls, where mainly fruits and vegetables were sold, in the right half of the square offward the centre. In the south-west corner there used to be underground public lavatory with a small house. The building has been preserved till now, but with another function. The second side of the square is modified like a park and a festively decorated and lighted tree, so-called the Christmas tree of the republic used to stand there at Christmas. Under that there used to be a moneybox for financial collection for the poor.