Earlier, the square did not have any name, as late as in 1906-1934 it got the name Square of Komenský. Jan Amos Komenský (1592-1670) was a bishop of the Church of Brothers, teacher, scientist and writer. Since 1934 to 1948 it was Podolské Square as a token of earlier independent town of Podolí, joined to Prague in 1922. In 1948 the name was changed to the Square of Nedvěd, in the honour of MUDr. Miloš Nedvěd (1908-1943), a lecturer of the Charles University. The aforementioned was a noted resistance worker. He had been arrested by the Nazis due to co-operation with home resistance and dragged to a concentration camp, where he died.
Whole western side of the square of Nedvěd is taken with the western section of water plant in Podolí. It was built in two phases, the first one in 1925-1929 and the latter roughly after thirty years. Both of the parts, joined with a pipe bridge, have the same architectonic character as they are works by dr. ing. arch. Antonín Engel.
The dominant feature of the square is large school building no. 140. In the park adjusted part in front of the school there is a memorial to the fighters in Prague May rebellion. Figure of the fighter is of larger-than-life size. On the pedestal there is an inscription: „TO BROTHERS KILLED IN PODOLÍ REVOLUTION FIGHTERS OF MAY 1945.“
There is standing another school building no. 101 on the southern side of the square as well. In front of its face there is a park-adjusted area with children’s mini-playground.