The square was established in 1925 and it got the name Bachmač Square. Bachmač is a town in Ukraine, north-east of Kiev, which is important for the Czech history as there were fighting the Czechoslovak legionaries the Austrian and German armies during 8th – 13th March 1918. In 1940-1945 the square held name the Square of Blücher. Gebhard Leberecht von Blücher (1742-1819) was a Prussian marshal and he became famous during the Napoleonic wars. He conduced to the defeat of Napoleon at Leipzig and at Waterloo. During 1945-1952 the name of the Bachmač Square returned again. Then during the period of forty years, the official name was the Square of A.V. Suvorov. Alexander Vasiljevič Suvorov (1729-1800) was a famous Russian commander. Generalissimo of the whole Russian army, Suvorov, stayed in Prague as a distinguished guest from 20th December 1799 to 28th January 1800. In 1992 the original name of Bachmač Square was returned.
There is a park in the area of the square. There was placed so-called Hus’ Stone with inscription 1415-1915. It happened on the occasion of the five-hundredth anniversary of his martyr’s death. Jan Hus, a Czech preacher and religious reformer, was burnt to death on 6th July 1415 in Constance.
The Bachmač Square, surrounded with apartment houses, is axially conceived to the most outstanding local premises, Station in Dejvice. It originally arose as an ending station of horse railway from Lány to Prague. In 1873 it was completely extended. In this regard there was built a new service, passenger and residential building, which has been used for its purposes till now. Part of the building is also a presidential lounge, established in 1937, with a separate entrance from the street. Advantage of the Station in Dejvice is its close proximity to the underground station of A route – Hradčanská.