Likewise many others, this square in Dejvice had been renamed several times. Since its foundation in 1925 until 1940 it was called the Victory Square. It happened in the honour of the victorious fight of the Czech people for national independence, which culminated in 1918 by proclamation of the independent Czechoslovak Republic. During 1940-1945 it got name of the Square of Armed Forces. Of course, regarding the period this was related to armed forces of the Greater Germany. During 1946-1952 it was called the Square of Dr. Edvard Beneš, in the honour of the second president of the Czechoslovak Republic, and then until 1990 it was called the Square of October Revolution, in memory of Bolshevik revolution in Russia in October 1917. After change of the political situation the original name has come back.
The first contemplations over conception of the area of the present square appeared in 1921, when the State regulation committee was considering the regulation of the area in Dejvice-Bubeneč. After many discussions prof. dr. ing. arch. Antonín Engel was called on for the realization. He has created a monumental square, which now numbers among the excellent Prague urbanistic and architectonic works between the World Wars. Unfortunately, building around the square had not been realized in the full scope of the original project. Currently, there is being prepared completion of the missing frontage of the Victory Square, in intentions defined by the pre-war regulation plan.
The Victory Square is also a significant traffic junction, as several busy roads run into it radially. Trams are passing through there and several bus lines, arriving from the west and north edge of Prague, have their terminal stops there. Last but not least there is also a terminal underground station of A route – Dejvická.