The first mention of Braník was in the deed of donation of Vratislaus II from 1088. Then the duke donated three landed estates with the subjects to the chapter of Vyšehrad. Braník was joined to the capital of Prague by the act, which became effective on 1st January 1922. It was greatly developed after the four-lane quay road with a central tram element had been built in the end of the fifties in the last century, according to design by ing. arch. Karel Kuthan.
The area of the Branické Square may be entered through the main local street called Branická, where the shops and services are concentrated. Also several interesting building are standing there, among all let’s mention premises of the previous Dominican Court no. 44 or the building of Branické Theatre no. 411.
Branické Square is formed by a small area, which is adjusted like a park in the centre. There is standing a memorial to the Czech religious thinker, priest and reformer, Jan Hus (approximately 1371-1415). He got involved in an argument with the Church and then after he had defended his faith and opinions in a faked trial, he was burned at the stake in Constance. The memorial, made by sculptor Jindřich Říha, was unveiled in 1905. The highest standing figure is that of the Master and there are a sitting woman and a Hussite warrior on the pedestal sides. In front of the memorial there is also placed a memorial tablet to the killed heroes of Braník in the May revolution in 1945. It was donated in the same year b the First Associated Cottars in Braník.
Vlnitá Street comes out of the square. In its beginning there is standing a historical Sokol gymnasium of Sokol in Braník no. 275. The local Sokol was founded in 1871 as a gymnastics-fire union.