The first written reference to Hostivař is related to 1068 and it has been mentioned in the Kosmas’ chronicle. The most outstanding building monument in Hostivař is originally a Romanesque church of Beheading of John the Baptist from 11th – 12th century. Later on it was rebuilt in gothic style and it underwent an essential classicist reconstruction at the turn of 18th and 19th centuries. Hostivař was joined to the capital of Prague due to act on creation of Great Prague which had become effective on 1st January 1922.
Since its modification in 1927 till 1940 the Hostivař Square was called the Square of Hus, after the Czech religious thinker, priest and Church reformer, Jan Hus (approx. 1371-1415). During 1940-1945 it bore the name of Švehla. Native of Hostivař, Antonín Švehla (1873-1933) was a distinctive political personage, participant of anti-Austrian resistance fight and Prime Minister of ČSR. He has been buried in cemetery in Hostivař. Then it was called the Square of Hus again and since 1947 it has born the name of Hostivař.
Western boundary of the Hostivař Square is formed by the stream of Botič, which is 32,8 km long. It begins in the forest of Okrouhlík, not far from Čenětice in the region of Říčany. It got its name after the mill, which once used to stand in its upper flow. The stream flows through the palace garden in Průhonice, it runs towards Křeslice, around Fanta’s mill and it flows in the Hostivař dam through the valleys in Petrovice. Below the dam and until Záběhlice Botič and its close surroundings have been the preserved natural objects since 1968. At Výtoň it joins the river of Vltava. However, the calm flowing water of Botič can torment not only the inhabitants near the Hostivař Square during flood.